Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Derby Day

March 4, 2008

The Pinewood Derby: it's the Pack Meeting of all Pack Meetings, the crowning event of Cub Scouts. After weeks of sanding, cutting and painting (or in some cases, in a frenzied rush the day before), the Dads the boys finally get to race their cars.


Twenty-eight cars are weighed, registered, and ready to go.



The race is on! And on, and on, and on. Six heats, 28 cars = nearly two hours of racing.



"My car won that heat!"



At the end of the evening, Duncan was excited. His car did well but didn't place in the top 8. He didn't care one bit. The fun was in the anticipation and the giddiness of the evening. "How many more years do I get to do this?" he asks. And the Cubmaster arrives home an hour later, tired, hungry, and incredibly optimistic. "I'm glad I get to do this for a few more years," he says. No wonder Duncan has such a happy outlook on life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.