Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Wednesday Miscellany

* I've lost track of how many days of rain we've had lately. Do people who live in monsoon regions have a lot of nervous breakdowns? I'm starting to feel moldy.


* We're finally out of the Civil War and have backtracked to cover the westward expansion. We've been reading A Pioneer Sampler this week. We absolutely love this book! The kids made these "tin art" pictures yesterday while I was reading to them. The book is a perfect blend of stories, facts, and projects. (Don't be deceived by what appears to be a sunny day. That was but a 5-minute break in the clouds.)

* Speaking of 5-minute breaks, we were tremendously blessed last night to have a respite from the rain for the annual Cub Scout end-of-the-year picnic.


There were three-legged races, sack races (that's Duncan on the far right), and a tug-of-war, plus awards and a crossing-over ceremony. Dr. H. is feeling much relieved today. Tomorrow evening is our American Heritage Girls end-of-the-year awards ceremony, so we are both going to be happy campers on Friday!
Aren't these parents good sports? They did the sack race, too. Hey, those are three AHG leaders on the left! I'm glad they didn't hurt themselves! (I'm allergic to burlap, in case you were wondering.)

* This week's Carnival of Homeschooling is up at the Atlanta Homeschooling Examiner. I actually remembered to submit something this time. I'm looking forward to having some time to peruse the rest of the entries.

* Mothers' Day is coming up very soon. Fortunately, I remembered just in time to go to Winkflash to send Winky Personal to my mom and Dr. H's mom. These are the most awesome cards. All you have to do is upload a photo (or more for a collage), fill in the text (I found a couple of good "mother" quotes), and pay. They actually send the card directly in the mail to the recipient! All that (including postage) for $2.39; it's way cheaper than buying a card at Target.

* My Mothers' Day requests are simple: I want the carpet cleaned and the cabinet under the kitchen sink cleaned out.

What's on your Mothers' Day lists?

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you're feeling moldy, Sarah. I hope the sun comes out soon. We were like that last week. Takes some getting used to after living in CO.

    I love your Mday requests. Mine are much the same. I'd love not to have to do laundry for a week. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. as always, I hope for sun, a meal I don't have to cook or clean up after and uninterrupted reading time. sheer bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely moldy. And on the verge of a nervous breakdown. I practically begged the Kingofthehill to take me to Orlando with him next week when I saw tiny suns in the 10 day forecast at www.weather.com (here, not so much). Alas, it was not to be. Instead, I'm hoping for a pair of new running shoes and it would be really nice to get to go for a nice long run/walk with my iPod chock full of fresh new NPR podcasts. Maybe 2 hours?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Mother's Day request will be a month in the making, but has also been a year in the making...we are going to (and by we I mean someone who knows what they are doing) level that lovely square patch of dirt in my back yard that was put there for the pool that never was last year...and we re going to put stone on it so it will also be a patio when not used for a pool..then we won't have to re-level it every year...b/c really this summer...momma is gonna need a pool....

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.