Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Looking for Summer Reading?

So far this year I've read 23 books, besides books read aloud to the kids. At this rate, I won't quite make 52 books in a year, which is my usual goal. Then again, I can usually read more than a book/week in the summertime. Unless I get stuck reading one for two weeks, like the latest one.

People are always asking for good beach reads. From the 23 books I've read so far this year, I'd probably suggest: Half Broke Horses (Jeannette Walls), Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet (Jamie Ford), Queen of the Big Time (Adriana Trigiani), and Tea Time for the Traditionally Built (A. McCall-Smith). These are really the only light-hearted, feel-good (for the most part) books on my list.

If you feel like getting hit with big whammies that will knock you off your feet emotionally, try Beautiful Boy (David Sheff) or Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius (Dave Eggers) or Still Alice (Lisa Genova).

My other favorites from this list are Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman (Ernest Gaines), Buffalo Soldier (Chris Bohjalian), Last Night at Twisted River (John Irving) and Mockingbird (Katherine Erskine). These are more intense reads than the "beach reads" but not as emotionally draining as the ones above.

Here's what I've read so far. Clicking on the title will take you to my SmallWorld Reads blog, where you can read my reviews. You can also click on the Reading Picks page here at SmallWorld at Home to see my favorites through the past few years.

Do you have any great books to share? I could never have too many choices on my Ever-Growing To Be Read List.

2 comments:

  1. I ADORE Adriana Trigiani's books! Right now I am reading the "Wicked" series by Gregory Maguire. They are pretty good- minus the-*ahem*-sex scenes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your book reviews and picks! Thanks for sharing - and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.