Friday, October 28, 2011

My Biggest Homeschooling Mistake: Not Traveling More

city

One of the things that really aggravated me when our son was in public school in first grade was being told that we shouldn’t go on trips that would make him miss school.

Really? So being in a classroom is more culturally valuable than going to a Greek festival? So he’ll learn music better if he’s jingling bells than if he is at a symphony? History is more likely to come alive for him within the four walls of school than at Gettysburg?

When we decided to homeschool, I knew that much of my children’s education would consist of hands-on learning that included going lots of places. I imagined us taking the Civil War trail along the East Coast, following Lewis and Clark’s adventures out west, digging up dinosaur bones in Utah, ogling masterpieces at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

I even had it calculated that my husband would be eligible for sabbatical when our oldest was in high school, so we would spend six months somewhere far away (and per my husband’s career, botanically interesting), like Australia or South Africa.

The best laid plans, eh?

As so often happens, the reality of our life clashed with my vision. …

Please visit Simple Homeschool today to read the rest of my post, and while you are there, check out the rest of the Biggest Mistakes series:


1 comment:

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.