Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Good Mom


There are some mornings, like this one, when I am good mom. I make sausages and deliver them, carefully placed on a plate with a tiny bowl of maple syrup, to my 11-year-old, who is watching his morning dose of TV. I bring him a mug of hot chocolate sprinkled with marshmallows. He smiles and looks, frankly, surprised. "Hot chocolate?" he says in delight. "For me?"

Yes. Hot chocolate, for you. Because you are just a few inches shorter than I am, but for now you are still shorter. Because you are my blond, blue-eyed baby. Because you have dimples and smile. All the time.

I am not usually good morning mom. I usually grunt, "Make yourself some pancakes" (those would be the microwaveable kind) or "Pour yourself a bowl of cereal." I am usually glued to my laptop in the morning, if I'm not out running.

But some mornings, I want to nurture and please. Some mornings I am suddenly struck with the awesome knowledge that this is my privilege. That making a cup of hot chocolate is an honor. That seeing the grateful smile of my third child is a gift so far beyond ordinary that no one can possibly describe it.

It is simple, this mother love. It comes in waves of memory or quick blinks of realization that the years are limited. Some day, in just a few years, I won't have anyone around who delights in hot chocolate or who wraps himself in an afghan while watching cartoons.

A few days ago, he sheepishly stopped me as I was about to hug him goodbye. At youth group. His eyes said, "I love you, but please don't hug me here." I smiled. He knew I understood.

I give it this way while I can.


5 comments:

  1. I can relate. Usually for about an hour after after I awake I am not of the "good mom variety":) We're real people and vaccilate some between tiredness/life's frustrations, etc., and then with the awareness of fleeting time and how much we need to treasure these people in our lives. Reminders are always helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I'm not a "good morning" mom, either. But you're right--the years are fleeting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids are 14 and 15, and I too have been thinking about the small amount of time I have left with them under the same roof. Thanks for kick-starting me into showing them that I still care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great reminder..thank you for the post. So often we forget to enjoy the moment, make "little" memories with the kids. I want them to remember the little things about growing up (good things, of course!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comment on my "Budgeting envelope" post. I would love for you to leave a more detailed message about how you transitioned from actually using them to only figuratively using them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.