Friday, February 17, 2012

Weekly Wrap-Up

What we've been doing around here:

Lots of being cozy, happy to have our fireplace fixed for the first time in 6 years.

Trip to the opera for British Lit class to see Romeo and Juliette. Read about how much I love opera here.

American Heritage Girls Annual Father/Daughter Banquet. Always a beautiful event! This year 150 Dads and daughters attended. Phew! Laurel put in many, many service hours preparing and cleaning up.


Enjoying Laurel's new kitty. New kitties are terribly, terribly distracting, prancing across desks, tossing pens up in the air, and just being generally adorable. And energetic.

Laurel's read lots and lots of English poets and written several poems of her own for British Lit. I honestly don't know what she's doing in her physical science class at co-op, but I know she got a 100% on her last exam. Duncan and I are still traveling in China for history, geography, and literature. We're in Norway during World War 2 for one co-op class (reading Snow Treasure for literature circle), and having fun with similes in another (creative writing, using my WordSmithery program). Come to think about it, I don't know what either of them are doing in their art classes at co-op either. What an uninformed parent I am!

What else? Some things just continue on as always. Math is math. Grammar is grammar. I made a resolution to put some Pinterest finds to use, and Duncan and I began a learning about simple machines this week. We're putting together a "how things work" lapbook and planning on doing all kinds of experiments. I checked out David Macauley's The Way Things Work from the library, so we'll take lots of time going through that. Like years.

That wraps up our past couple of weeks. We're taking a day off today. It's my birthday.

Here I am at 46. I have a sore throat. But I am so completely enjoying all my Facebook greetings, and friends stopping by in real life with cards, gifts, one delicious mocha cupcake and one poem, written by my daughter's best friend, that made me cry. Tonight I have dinner with my family to look forward to, and this weekend we're going to tour the Biltmore, thanks to my friend Donna and her free tickets.

I don't need to say it, but I will: Life is good.

Linked up with the Weekly Wrap-Up

7 comments:

  1. Happy, happy birthday!
    Your week sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your birthday continues to be great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is a little song I "wrote" for you:

    Happy Birthday to you,
    Happy Birthday to you!
    Continue to enjoy your day now-
    Party like it's 1992! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha! Amber, I was partying pretty hard in 1992! I'm pretty sure I don't have that in me any more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! I love the warm and cozy fireplace. It's been too warm here for a fire, even though I love one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday! Have a fun weekend. The new kitten is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! I knew it was your birthday this month!!!! Hope the card made it okay :) You're lookin' good girlfriend!!! Hugs, Robin :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.