Thursday, February 13, 2014

Southern Snow Magic


Every winter a loss lurks in my heart, lodged in memory: I miss for my children a perfect snow, the snow that seems impossible in the south but is part of my fiber as a Northerner. 

I miss for them, on a much shallower level, the way you sweat when you pull on long underwear, snowpants, wool socks, and snowboots. I miss for them the humiliating Wonder Bread wrappers secured with rubberbands under those snowboots.

But every single winter what I really lament is that they won't remember what it is like to be surrounded in the stillness of a perfect snowy night. And finally, last night, after 15 years in the South, we got it.

It was beautiful. For hours and hours and hours the snow came down and finally covered the grass and then piled up, inch by inch. In my hometown, that was winter and it lasted forever and ever and ever. Here, it is magic. 



And finally, my children know the pure beauty of a perfect snow night, when everything is quiet and the glow of the streetlights makes the world seem unblemished. You forget the brown underneath. You forget the debris and the miscellaneous plastic objects scattered about. The junk.



Although I grew up in snow country, I remember only a few perfect snows. 
* Age 10 on Castle Street, when my father and I walked in the middle of the street at night, way past my bedtime, and the snow came down thick and lovely. 
* A drive out to our lake property on Christmas Day so that my Dad and brothers could sail: red boat, gray lake, fat white flakes falling all around them.
* Many years later, a moonlight ski on the country club's golf course, when the snow was thick and fluffy and my mother and father skied silently ahead of me, full of joy.
* My senior year in high school when we had a rare snow day, and my boyfriend Michael picked me up for a drive, and all the evergreens were heavy with March snow. We couldn't believe our good fortune.




You just want memories like that for your children, the kind that stick with them forever, the kind they take out for comfort when they are sad or lonely, when they miss something and don't quite know what it is they miss.

The kind they carry with them into their own lives and cling to, remembering the way the snow looked in the glow of the streetlight and how they were utterly immersed in joy.


10 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sailing on the lake on Christmas Day is essential!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those snow pictures are beautiful. It's nice for your children to now have their own snow memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photographs and prose. I'm sure your children will remember this snowy day always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos and prose. Did you take all of these yourself? Wow. The first two are especially gorgeous - the light is just amazing.

    I also grew up in snow country (Rochester, NY) and now live in the "south", Delaware - officially south of the Mason-Dixon line but not very far south! We've had a lot of snow this winter. Thanks for reminding me of the beauty of the snow that has become just an annoyance this winter!

    Sue

    Book By Book

    Book by Book is now on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took the photos with my iPhone--it was just a perfect night! I grew up just 30 minutes from Rochester in Geneva, Sue!

      Delete
  6. It was a very beautiful snow for all us Southerners!
    Blessings
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. That first photo is great. I'm sure it was all the more special for them because it is such a rare experience.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely. You almost made me cry - "You just want memories like that for your children, the kind that stick with them forever, the kind they take out for comfort when they are sad or lonely, when they miss something and don't quite know what it is they miss."
    Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.